Friday, August 28, 2009

Whose health care plan?

So I mentioned in an earlier post that I'm volunteering with the Deeds for Governor campaign. As a reminder, Creigh (pronounced Cree') Deeds is Virginia's Democratic gubernatorial candidate.

On Thursdays I go to the district office about six miles from the house and make calls to voters to remind them about the election and get a feel for whether Creigh Deeds can count on their vote in November. When I make the calls I have a loose script that I follow saying who I am and why I'm calling.

Yesterday was my second day volunteering. I made 99 calls. Making these calls is quite an education --primarily in what people will say when they can't see you.

So I called this woman and a man picked up the phone. I said I was looking for the woman of the household and that I had her name on a list of voters. The man said, "I'm a voter, too."

"I see, Sir," I said, "but I don't see your name on our list." To which he replied, "Oh, I'm a conservative voter." Whatever works for him. I'm not going to pass judgment.

Then, not that it was germane to anything, he offered the following comment, "I have to tell you. I think my wife is starting to regret having voted for Obama last year."

I believe I said something to the effect of "Sir, I'm not sure exactly how that relates to the information I'm seeking."

Unbeknownst to me that was an invitation for him to share his thoughts on the health care debate, the conclusion of which was, "...and we don't want any of that African health care."

I have to say I was reminded by this man's comment of an incident that took place years ago when I was dating which, today, always makes me laugh.

I was using a dating service that sent letters with information about prospective matches. I was matched with a guy who, I found out later, had quite the wry sense of humor. We were on the phone chatting and I asked him what the service had told him about me. He said they had told him that I was this, that and the other thing and that I was black.

I was very surprised that the dating service would have made such a major error and I wondered how and where they had gotten that information.

The joke was on me though as my prospective date fessed up that he was just kidding around with me. Boy did I feel the fool and have a good laugh when I heard that.

When this guy yesterday made his comment, I considered telling him that this "sista" was wondering whose health care plan he had been reviewing. I'm sure I'll laugh about this one day too.

Score: Domestic Divahood, 8; Unfulfilled on the job, 0

No comments:

Post a Comment