Friday, August 7, 2009

Man vs. Weed

It's August 7th and today was "Employment Situation Day." That meant getting up extra early so Gary could get to work early. And the timing couldn't have been better. The weather was remarkably cool for August -- in the 60's, so after I dropped Gary at the Metro, I came home gathered my tools and went to our Fairfax County garden plot. There I engaged in a fierce battle of man vs. weed. I'm glad to say that after two hours, man won, but it was touch and go for a while. I had to keep reminding myself that I was picking up activity points on Weight Watchers meaning I can eat a little more tonight at the Mystics game. Detroit is playing pretty poorly these days, so the food may be the highlight of the game. Hopefully not.

After a few hours of manual labor, I returned home to have coffee with Sharon. On the way home, I stopped at Safeway to pick up some kind of "munchie" to have with coffee. As I walked in, covered in dirt and sweat, I got a few looks. Perhaps people thought I was homeless. I was quite the sight.

So I changed into a dress when I got home to make myself look presentable. To my delight when I left the house, via the front door (as opposed to the garage) there was a package on the porch. It contained a pair of "retro" sunglasses that I ordered several weeks ago. They are completely kitschy and completely awesome and they fit like a glove. Now I just need the 1960's flip hairstyle (see photo) to go with them to complete the look. I'm trying to achieve the flip, but I probably need to use more hairspray. Since I use no hairspray now, "more" is a relative term.
In keeping with my environmentalist persona, I need to find something that's not going to widen the hole in the ozone layer. I'll leave that to other Southern "belles."
Yeah, like I'm so Southern. You should hear me screaming and carrying on at Mystics games. I'm still trying to scream myself hoarse. So far I still have a voice. Bummer! But I definitely get some looks when I belt out such favorite phrases as "Let's go ladies!" or "Come on (insert name here)! Knock it down!"
Yikes! On the subject of knocked down, I'm about to fall down from exhaustion. It's tiring just watching the Mystics. I can't even imagine what it must be like to play in one of those games.
And I have a big day tomorrow. I'll get a fix on how my plan to lose a pound a week before vacation is going. If I don't report, we'll know...
Score: Domestic Divahood, 3; Unfulfilled on the job, 0

1 comment:

  1. Dear Domestic Diva--Your blog is terrific, well-written, funny, personal, and totally believable. In just a few short posts you tell so much about yourself, Gary, your garden. It's great!! Keep it up!! I feel sure it will help take you to new possibilities!

    ReplyDelete