Tuesday, March 1, 2011

And what disease would you like on the side?

I have a five-year old restaurant receipt hanging on my refrigerator door. More about that later....
Today is National Pancake Day at IHOP. In partnership with various charities, all day long IHOP offers customers a complimentary short stack in return for a donation. Gary usually starts asking, "When is Pancake Day?" around October. Today I was finally able to answer with, "It's today, Dear!" It's usually on Shrove Tuesday (AKA Mardi Gras), which is next week. It's not quite clear why it's being held a week early this year, but I'm not complaining...
So Gary and I had a breakfast date this morning. Fun! Per usual, our local IHOPs are raising money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society -- a most worthy cause. When our bill came, I checked the receipt carefully. Not because I was concerned about the charges. No. I was interested in the itemization of the bill. 
Remember that receipt on my fridge? Five years ago on National Pancake Day, when we got our receipt, the food portion of the meal was written up as "Leukemia Cakes"!
I'm envisioning the server asking for the rest of the order: "And what disease would you like on the side?"
You can't make this stuff up!

1 comment: