Saturday, September 10, 2011

A Time to Tinkle


Exactly four weeks from today a gal pal of mine is getting married. I can't tell you how thrilled I am. But not necessarily for the reason you think.
Well, lest you think I'm completely irascible and cynical, I am happy for her. But here's the thing: I'm also overjoyed that the whole affair will be over in exactly four weeks. Allow me to explain....
Back when I got married – six years ago – Facebook didn't exist. I wish I could say I'm disappointed....
Over the course of the last year or so, I've been "treated" in acute detail to what stage A. is at in her wedding planning. In the last few months, it's gotten really "interesting." I know who's RSVP'ed; how the pumpkins are doing (I concede I have no idea what they're for...); when A. has her next dress fitting and on, and on, and on....
Some of the details are cute, some should be filed under "I'm sorry, but why do I care about this?"
I've asked myself again and again why she's sharing all these details. The answer I keep coming up with is that she's nervous and as such, isn't thinking straight, because I think she knows better than to share all this inconsequential information. I just hope she doesn't feel the need to "tweet" as she walks down the aisle....
Seriously though, I can relate to being nervous about getting married. Before my wedding there was so much to do and I was so uptight that it was all I could do to remember who I was and who I was marrying. Y'know? Good ol' what's-his-name, sitting next to me here on the couch... 
Truth be told, I almost missed my wedding because of nerves.
For those of you who've gotten married, attended a prom or had a coming out party you know what it's like to use the "little girls'" room in your dress. It requires at least two people.
C'mon, admit it. You couldn't really manage all that fabric and the crinolines by yourself, could you? I swear I couldn't have had fewer than four layers going on below my waist...
So I'm standing at the top of the aisle, my parents on either side, video camera trained on me. Everyone else has had his/her moment and now it's my turn to "walk down" and wow everyone and all I can think is, "Oh my God, I need to pee! Any chance we can stall while I use the ladies room?"

Written for The Writers’ Post weekly blog hop #13. Theme: Thoughts on Time

13 comments:

  1. LOL... I had to stop to think about my own wedding day - 1968... But, I am pretty sure that I didn't have to tinkle in my wedding dress. hahahaha... funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So funny! My biggest problem was that the candlelight through my veil made it impossible to see. It was like the reverse Rachel/Leah thing--I couldn't tell which guy in the tux was Michael and luckily, I married the right one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute! I was so nervous that I was laughing and crying at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too funny! My wedding dress was the manage-it-solo kind, but I've held the dresses for a few tinkling friends on their wedding days!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't have to pee in my wedding dress--oh thank goodness for that! No one ever thought I would marry...I was too independent--too much of a go getter...That place with the burning flames would have to freeze over before I got married. HMPH!! I showed all of them. But I have to admit, the day I walked down the aisle, it was definitely the coldest day ever. Talking -22F with wind chill it felt like -35F. (DO YOU SEE WHY I DIDN'T NEED TO PEE?? Everything was frozen!! HA HA!)

    Cheers, Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nervousness has a way of doing that! Luckily, I didn't have to pee at that point … it was before pregnancy and children. After having babies, I pee more. That's why people need to get married before having kids!

    Joyce
    http://joycelansky.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL...too funny! When I met my husband at the altar, we actually had to walk together up steps to go onstage....I stepped on my gown on the way up and thankfully my groom caught me before I landed flat on my face! LOL. ....And I know what you mean about the social media today. Sometimes I've seen people posting on facebook about their vacation while their ON vacation! Makes me wonder if they are really "present in the moment" where they are at. (I think the worst example I saw was someone posting on FB that they were going up right now, flying around Mt. Everest. Seriously?! I think the LAST thing on my mind would be FB!! I'd be too busy staring out the window, trying to take in all the views and make a mental "snapshot" of the beauty!). Sometimes I wonder if people's lives aren't being designed around social media, like 'staged'. Anyhow, I LOVE your post!! :)-Katwin2010

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very funny ending! I was not nervous at all, somehow I was so aware of the move. Probably cos I was rather 'old' :) 30 years and 24 days old LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, I can relate to this. What a nightmare and then, you're thinking about the need to pee more than what you are really getting ready to do.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you don't wish to keep up on the postings of people on Facebook, maybe you could just skip them? Facebook posts are stored on a computer, not stacked up in your front yard. It's your choice to go through the list, you are bound by no contract to read them. Based on your listed location, the four-week time frame, the initial "A" you used, and the pumpkins I'm 99% sure I know who you are talking about. If I am correct, I too have watched the outflow of informaiton from this person on Facebook and there have been countless people supporting her postings and responding in a positive manner; even going so far as asking for more information. Looks like you're the only person complainig about this. Maybe you're not thinking straight because I don't remember seeing your name on the invite list? This is, of course, assuming you and I are talking about the same "A".

    ReplyDelete
  11. Having never been married, and only attending one wedding (my sister in a register office) in my life, I have no experience of the need to tinkle in a crinoline... but I do know the minute I head for the door to go shopping, I need to pee! Maybe that's just my age! This was a fun post to read :o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. So funny! I remember being so afraid of just that (it was maybe the thing that caused my nerves?) that I kept delaying putting on my dress until I tried to empty my bladder "one more time." Hehehe... I hope you were able to relax and enjoy the day after the initial nervousness (and other issues!) were relieved. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  13. haha that was funny. Ever notice the bride barely eats or drinks during those receptions?

    ReplyDelete