Thursday, April 7, 2011

Which came first, the woman or the sports fan?

So I'm at the doctor today waiting to have a mammogram or, as I like to call it, my annual "boob mashing session." Even though it's barely 8:30 AM the waiting room is pretty full. There's this woman sitting next to me who's having some problem with her identification and she has to call her insurance company to straighten it out.
I'm not fond of people who talk on their phones in waiting rooms, but I'm good and I say nothing while she works out her issue. Of course, when she starts talking she gives her name: Barbara Boeheim.
For anyone who knows anything about college basketball the name Boeheim has great significance and for me, being married to a Syracuse graduate... Need I say more? But I think to myself, it's just a coincidence. 
Cut to my appointment is over and I'm at the front desk waiting to talk to someone about something. There's no receptionist at the desk and ... Barbara Boeheim comes out to check out. A receptionist servicing another part of the office comes over to help her. "I can get you squared away," the receptionist says to her, "I just need your name."
"Barbara Boeheim," she says.
This time, I can't help myself. My curiosity gets the better of me and  I interject, "Any relation to 'The Coach.'" She smiles pleasantly, inclines her head and says, "Yes, I'm his sister."
Holy cow! I'm in the presence of near greatness! Jim Boeheim is LEGENDARY!
So we start talkin' smack about basketball and Syracuse and other things. Wow. And to think that I really didn't want to go to the doctor...

No comments:

Post a Comment