Friday, September 18, 2009

Signs from God

So I recently signed up on Facebook as a fan of an Italian education application called "Parola del Giorno" which translates as "Word of the Day." At sundown tonight Rosh HaShanah -- the Jewish New Year -- began. As I have done for years now on Rosh HaShanah, I recently sent a card to several friends and family members on which I quoted the chorus from Michael Jackson's song "Man in the Mirror." The lyrics go, "I'm starting with the man in the mirror. I'm asking him to change his ways. And the message couldn't be any clearer. If you want to make the world a better place, take a look at yourself and make a change."

I thought those words offered a good idea at a time when one is, for all intents and purposes, "starting over."

So what does any of this have to do with Italian and why is my blog post titled "Signs from God?" Glad you asked.

The word of the day for Thursday, September 17th - the day before Rosh HaShanah - was actually two words "voltare pagina (pronounced vohl-tah'-ray pah'-gee-nah) which taken together are an expression meaning to turn a page or symbolically "to turn over a new leaf."

Here we were on the threshhold of Rosh HaShanah and from a seemingly unrelated source I was being "told" to turn over a new leaf. Wow! I believe in signs from God and the signs are clearly everywhere that I need to make some changes in my life.

I read this awesome parable in the prayerbook in synagogue tonight. It goes like this:
A man is lost in the forest and has been wandering around for several days, trying to find his way out, when he encounters another man. "Aha!" he thinks to himself. "This man surely must know the way out." He calls to the second man, "You there! Can you show me the way out of this forest?" The second man replies, "Brother, I too am lost and have been trying for days to find my way out of this forest. The only thing I can tell you is not to take the paths I have taken, because they have not led me to where I want to be." The second man then adds, "Let us become partners and search for the way together."

I have so many wonderful family members and friends with whom I can partner to search for the way. Thank you to my friends, family and God for helping me to look for the right way and supporting me as I do.
L'Shanah Tovah 5770.

Score: Domestic Divahood, 10; Unfulfilled on the job, 0

No comments:

Post a Comment